waiting on wednesday (30)


"Waiting on" Wednesday is a weekly event courtesy of Breaking the Spine
that showcases much anticipated upcoming releases.


from goodreads: 01/13/2012
New York, Los Angeles, and Washington, D.C., have been abandoned.

The Bill of Rights has been revoked, and replaced with the Moral Statutes.

There are no more police—instead, there are soldiers. There are no more fines for bad behavior—instead, there are arrests, trials, and maybe worse. People who get arrested usually don't come back.

Seventeen-year-old Ember Miller is old enough to remember that things weren’t always this way. Living with her rebellious single mother, it’s hard for her to forget that people weren’t always arrested for reading the wrong books or staying out after dark. It’s hard to forget that life in the United States used to be different.

Ember has perfected the art of keeping a low profile. She knows how to get the things she needs, like food stamps and hand-me-down clothes, and how to pass the random home inspections by the military. Her life is as close to peaceful as circumstances allow.

That is, until her mother is arrested for noncompliance with Article 5 of the Moral Statutes. And one of the arresting officers is none other than Chase Jennings…the only boy Ember has ever loved.
One of the things that's most appealing to me here is Ember's age paired with the fact that it mentions that she's old enough to know a different time, indicating that this is in the beginning era of a dystopian government. Aside from a good dystopian (and characters), what I love the most about a book is a great set-up. I love knowing the inner workings of something, and that sort of before-and-after comparison. Getting to know the why behind the what makes me ridiculously happy. I've been staring at this one on my Goodreads list forever now and am sort of thrilled that the release date is so soon!

12 comments on "waiting on wednesday (30)"

Anonymous wrote: Wed Dec 28, 12:15:00 AM

Excellent pick! Article 5 is a novel I'm highly anticipated (can't believe I still haven't read my copy yet! >.<)

My picks this week: http://mochalattereads.blogspot.com/2011/12/waiting-on-wednesday38-purple-is-love.html

-★Wendy★
A Cupcake and a Latte: Young Adult Reviews!


Jessica (Peace Love Books) wrote: Wed Dec 28, 10:57:00 AM

Hmm I've never heard of that but it looks great!! Great pick :)

Here's my WoW!


nikki wrote: Wed Dec 28, 11:34:00 AM

I think the thing I love most about this book is the boys red flannel shirt on the cover. I would read it just for that! And then on top of that, it sounds really intriguing.

~Nikki (Imaginative Adventure)

Giveaway!


Pamela wrote: Wed Dec 28, 12:26:00 PM

I have this on my TBR list too. It looks awesome. I agree with what you said about her being old enough to know things were different. I think it'll be really interesting to see how the whole world fell apart, and know that the main character actually witnessed it and didn't just hear the stories. Great pick!

Feel free to check out my WoW here.


Adriana C wrote: Wed Dec 28, 02:14:00 PM

Great pick!!! I´m dying to read Article 5 after reading several great reviews.
My WOW


Anonymous wrote: Wed Dec 28, 04:14:00 PM

This is definitely one of the best books I read in 2011! It was amazing!
Romi.x


Anonymous wrote: Wed Dec 28, 04:30:00 PM

Oh, and here's my "WOW"
Romi.x


Nea wrote: Wed Dec 28, 05:07:00 PM

I've heard so many good things about this book :) Seems pretty great! ;)


Brittani wrote: Wed Dec 28, 06:08:00 PM

Great pick! I'm really looking forward to this! It sounds really good! :)

My WoW: http://hopefaithbooks.blogspot.com/2011/12/waiting-on-wednesday-19.html

-Brittani


Jim wrote: Wed Dec 28, 06:18:00 PM

I keep swearing off dystopia, then seeing something that looks so awesome I get tempted back in... think this might do that for me!

Great pick, mine is at YA Yeah Yeah if you'd like to take a look.


Anna wrote: Wed Dec 28, 06:59:00 PM

I've never been big for Dystopia but all these really interesting books keep coming out, I think I'm going to have to give more books a chance! I'm a new follower :)
Annmarie@World of Books


Cait wrote: Thu Dec 29, 06:24:00 PM

Oh yeah! I want this book SO much. Great choice XD

The Cait Files


Post a Comment

Welcome!

I am presently on hiatus into the foreseeable future. You can find me on twitter, tumblr, or my writing website, wooordsea.com

See you there!

fellow book lovers!

grab my button!

subscribe via e-mail!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Shop Indie Bookstores