review: origin by jessica khoury

Author: Jessica Khoury
Publication Date: 09/04/2012
Publisher: Razorbill
Pages: 394
Source: Publisher (ARC)

Pia has grown up in a secret laboratory hidden deep in the Amazon rain forest. She was raised by a team of scientists who have created her to be the start of a new immortal race. But on the night of her seventeenth birthday, Pia discovers a hole in the electric fence that surrounds her sterile home—and sneaks outside the compound for the first time in her life.

Free in the jungle, Pia meets Eio, a boy from a nearby village. Together, they embark on a race against time to discover the truth about Pia’s origin—a truth with deadly consequences that will change their lives forever.
Pia, perfect Pia, is a geneticist in the making deep in the Amazon. She's never read a book that wasn't science-related, has never listened to music with lyrics. Growing up having known she was the result of a successful experiment, Pia has been moulded perfectly for her future: to head a team to create more immortals like her. But Pia is a teenager, and when she discovers a means of going on the other side of the fence she takes it. So how far does the rabbit hole go? There's more than jungle waiting for her on the other end.

When I saw this was available at BEA I was a couple shades of giddy. I love books that have to deal with science - mainly with the hope that it'll be pulled off - and knowing that it was set in the rainforest my interest in this book was a no-brainer. The cover design pops in person, with the title being letter-pressed on. I'm hoping the finished copy will be a bit shimmery, because I think it'd make it really stand out on a shelf. It's taken me a while to read it, though, because I was nervous about how the story would pan out. There's a huge mental disparity at times when you set a book up so much before you actually read it.

The descriptions of the rainforest were gorgeous, and it was pleasantly clear that Khoury had done her research when writing this book. When Pia spoke or looked at a flower it was all I could do but not sniff hopefully at the air to see if the scent would float off the page from such beautiful descriptions of the blooms. Mentions of bioluminescence and the inclusion of flora and fauna native to the Amazon rounded out the stunning cast member of setting. The jungle was as much a character in the book as anything, and was perhaps my favorite.

Origin tells the story of Pia and how she deals with being immortal. Taking into account a few things such as her age, her isolation, and living with the fact that she is the only one of her kind, there was a certain measure of uncertainty from her that I expected to be translated as pride and self-awareness. That said, Pia made it difficult to like Pia. She was never someone I could really empathise with. I can't put this fully on Pia, however - though I liked many of the characters (Will, Ami), none of them really stood out enough to say that I could love them. Rather than the character being the voice of the story, it seemed that they were its vessels instead.

Two things stayed with me: one was the inclusion of instashipping between Pia and Eio as well as how Pia views herself, and the second is the role of animals in the book. I liked Pia and I liked Eio, but considering the book plays out over the span of a week, perhaps two at the most, the fact that they are harboring such intense feelings for each other kept me from believing in their interactions. If the book had ended with them perhaps on the beginning of something then everything would have been much more tightly knit for me. There were moments where Pia also defined herself as a female through the confirmation of Eio's thinking of her as a woman - I had to put the book down for a while then before coming back to it. Pia is strong on her own, she doesn't need to be seen through the lens of someone else. I would also like to mention to people considering reading this book that there may be some trigger warnings concerning animals, so please keep that in mind.

Origin is a captivating book that explores the human penchant for never-ending life as well as the consequences our actions can have. Khoury wove together a pretty compelling tale, and though I had some minor issues, she's a writer that I can only see improving with leaps and bounds as she continues.

6 comments on "review: origin by jessica khoury"

Jenny wrote: Tue Sep 04, 12:36:00 AM

Yeah, everyone is making me want to write read this one. Sigh! ;)


We Heart YA wrote: Tue Sep 04, 07:52:00 PM

Hmm... Disappointing characters might keep this off our list for now. But the premise is fascinating! A bit like ORYX AND CRAKE (by Margaret Atwood) for YA, maybe. And we are quite enticed by the idea of the Amazon setting... ;)


Mandy wrote: Wed Sep 05, 11:03:00 PM

Gah! Another fantastic review of this book. I'm seriously intrigued.I'll have to check it out ASAP. Great review. :)


The Reading Enchantress wrote: Sat Sep 08, 04:47:00 AM

I'm really glad that I got to read your thoughts on Origin, before starting it, K! I was also very excited to pick this one up at BEA, mainly because it was a BR and because I thought Jessica was so sweet. However, I haven't gotten to it yet, because I didn't have as strong a pool towards it as I've had towards some of the other ARCs we picked up. I'm slightly disappointed about some of the factors you mentioned, such as the length of time during which the story takes place and the way through which Pia defines herself. In the end, I'm glad to know you enjoyed it, but that I haven't missed a 'Don't-Miss' read. Awesome review, lady!


Hannah Mariska wrote: Sat Sep 08, 05:53:00 AM

Wow, such a stunning cover, and your review really makes me want to read it!! Thanks :)


Carole wrote: Tue Sep 11, 06:52:00 PM

Interesting review. Have a great week.

PS No doubt you have been busy but it would be super if you followed Carole's Chatter back.


Post a Comment

Welcome!

I am presently on hiatus into the foreseeable future. You can find me on twitter, tumblr, or my writing website, wooordsea.com

See you there!

fellow book lovers!

grab my button!

subscribe via e-mail!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Shop Indie Bookstores