fill in the blank

My mind, as it is wont to do, meanders tangentially off every now and again. As I was writing something down to empty my brain earlier I once again came to conclusion that for me, characters are what make or break a story. If I can't love a character, then getting into the book is approximately 100x harder. (Note: I've been meaning to have a weekly post on characters that I've loved and why I've loved them. Stay tuned for that!)

This got me thinking: what is it for you guys? What is that certain element about a book that just clicks everything together for you? Setting, words, description - you name it.

Fill in the blank.

4 comments on "fill in the blank"

Brett @ Demons Read Too wrote: Tue Aug 23, 11:48:00 PM

It's the same for me, characters make the story. I think I mentioned in one of my reviews that the characters could be thrown onto a deserted island and I'd still love it if the characters were written well enough.


Natalie wrote: Wed Aug 24, 11:20:00 AM

I definitely think its the style of writing. If an author's word choice annoys me then so do the characters, plot, and everything else!


We Heart YA wrote: Wed Aug 24, 11:31:00 AM

Mostly it's characters for us too. Sometimes a good concept + plot can keep us going through a story, but then it's more about curiosity than pleasure...


Jenny wrote: Wed Aug 24, 03:01:00 PM

I think characters are very important but I get annoyed when someone hates a great book just because it wasn't very character driven or worse they just didn't like the characters. I think the writing the pace and the plot are important too and if all those are good I'll deal with a lack of great characters and just enjoy the story.


Post a Comment

Welcome!

I am presently on hiatus into the foreseeable future. You can find me on twitter, tumblr, or my writing website, wooordsea.com

See you there!

fellow book lovers!

grab my button!

subscribe via e-mail!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Shop Indie Bookstores