follow friday (13) & cover love (3)

This week's question courtesy of Parajunkee's Follow Friday is:

Q: Talk about the book that most changed or influenced your life (was it a book that turned you from an average to avid reader, did it help you deal with a particularly difficult situation, does it bring you comfort every time you read it?). 

This is an insanely difficult question. No one book was a magical book that turned me into a voracious reader; it was more the culmination of all of them. When I was little I was very lucky in that we had tons of children's books around, and that my mum would read to me at night. What's even more lucky is that I had people around me that would indulge the very small, younger me in signing me up for a library card and carting me back and forth - most of the time with 10+ books out at a time - from home to the library. However, I have to say that reading these books opened my mind up to so many possibilities that it gave me a wild imagination and an intense curiosity to find out what else might be possible if I just read more. (I also wrote tons of terrible stories when I was little, as I just had so much stuff in my head that I needed to get it out in some fashion. I still write, and hopefully it's not so terrible now.)
Here's a list of children's books that I loved then and still love now:

Strega Nona by Tomie DePaola
Caps for Sale by Esphyr Slobodkina
Go, Dog, Go! by P.D. Eastman
The Story of Ferdinand by Munro Leaf & Robert Lawson
The Story About Ping by Marjorie Flack
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl
Charlotte's Web by E.B. White

I also grew up reading whatever else lay around the house, which ended up in a lot of the following: any and all Dr. Seuss, National Geographic (we had a subscription at the time), tons of the Great Illustrated Classic books (Black Beauty, Heidi, Journey to the Center of the Earth...), Shel Silverstein, and these random abridged versions of books that Reader's Digest used to produce that my Pop (grandfather) had on the shelf. I also read a lot of Reader's Digest.

I am grateful to each and every one of these books and people as they shaped my interest of reading to what it is today.


Next up is... cover love! Courtesy of Melissa at iswimforoceans. :)



Title: Witchlanders
Author: Lena Coakley
Publisher: Atheneum
Publish Date: August 30, 2011
Genre: Fantasy
Fun Fact: Although the cover shows a picture of a girl, the MC is indeed male.
Why I Have Cover Lust: I just love everything about this cover. The textures, the shades of blue (my favorite color), the wispy branches falling in her face and the slash of red across that comes in perfect contrast. This is a book that I've had aside waiting - and boy, has it been difficult to wait - to be read for over a month now, and will get to soon as it's almost time for its book birthday.

21 comments on "follow friday (13) & cover love (3)"

Jenny wrote: Thu Aug 04, 10:16:00 PM

Wow, I was going to join Follow Friday this week but now I'm hesitating. That's a hard question!


Bailey wrote: Thu Aug 04, 10:37:00 PM

I loved Go, Dog, Go! as a child!! That was one of my favorite books. =)

New Follower. =D


Bailey wrote: Thu Aug 04, 10:38:00 PM

Scratch that. LOL. I was already a follower. =P


melannie (: wrote: Thu Aug 04, 10:46:00 PM

haha it is indeed a hard question!
I took my time answering it, too (and went back to edit it a few times)

Lovely blog! new follower hopping through (:

my follow friday

(:


Unknown wrote: Thu Aug 04, 10:53:00 PM

You are very lucky to be surrounded with so many books as a child. It wounds like you have some very loving people in your life :)
Here is my FF:
http://literaryjunkie11.blogspot.com/2011/08/follow-friday-13.html
Happy Friday!
Old follower =P
PS: After hearing your liking for Shiver, I have finally decided to pick up my first werewolf reads. I am buying them next week! So thanks for the interest you have given me; I can't get them out of my mind!


Unknown wrote: Thu Aug 04, 10:54:00 PM

oops, I meant *sounds. hehe


We Heart YA wrote: Thu Aug 04, 11:02:00 PM

Yes, the library card! That was a huge influence for us too. It was like this magical thing that got you an unlimited number of adventures and laughter and fun -- and oh yeah, knowledge. Who wouldn't get addicted to that?


Pepa wrote: Thu Aug 04, 11:07:00 PM

I read Go, Dog, Go as well, haha. And Charlotte's Web. Great post, new follower! Check out my FF at Anonymous Reads.
Have a good day! :)

-Pepa


Obsession with Books wrote: Thu Aug 04, 11:29:00 PM

Hi & Happy Friday!

My FF, http://obsessionwithbooks.blogspot.com

Have a nice weekend.


Keturah wrote: Fri Aug 05, 12:02:00 AM

I loved Strega Nona! I also love your header and the saying below it. Happy Friday!!


Amanda Welling wrote: Fri Aug 05, 03:13:00 AM

New follower! This was such a hard question for me to answer too!

Amanda
Hippies, Beauty, and Books. Oh My!


Cait wrote: Fri Aug 05, 08:40:00 AM

Yeah I was the same as you! Always a reader so I can't really pinpoint a time when I started

The Cait Files


Hannah Mariska wrote: Fri Aug 05, 08:41:00 AM

I loved Charlie and the Chocolate Factory when I was a kid! With all the rhymes and songs in it - Roald Dahl is an amazing writer!


Jenny wrote: Fri Aug 05, 02:18:00 PM

I loved The Story of Ferdinand. I named my fist care after him! I've nominated you for an award. Check out my blog.


Karen wrote: Fri Aug 05, 02:56:00 PM

I love to hear about people who were influenced by their libraries, and picture books! It really makes me smile.


Pawing Through Books wrote: Fri Aug 05, 05:25:00 PM

I love that cover and the book sounds like it is going to be a good read too!

New follower! If you can, please check out my Friday memes at: Pawing Through Books


Alison Can Read wrote: Fri Aug 05, 06:02:00 PM

Hopping through. I'm about halfway through Witchlanders now and it's great. I love the cover too, although I think it'd be better with a guy on it since they're the main characters.
My Hop


Patricia JL wrote: Fri Aug 05, 06:54:00 PM

I still have a few children's books stashed away that I remember reading over and over at my parents house. In my elementary school, they had a program where you read 10 books, you got a prize and that always encouraged me to read and I kept at it through middle school and high school. But then I fell out of reading for a long time. =(

http://plbjourney.blogspot.com/2011/08/follow-friday-again.html


Ashley @ Bookaholics Anonymous wrote: Sat Aug 06, 12:21:00 AM

Just stopping by from FF, and now a follower.

You'll have to let me know what you think of Starcrossed I adored the book.


Molli @ Once Upon a Prologue wrote: Sat Aug 06, 12:59:00 PM

I really love that you had people who took you to the library as a kid. So did I! My library had "story time" once a week that I went to, and I just started reading and never looked back.

http://onceuponaprologue.blogspot.com/2011/08/follow-friday-13-book-blogger-hop-11.html#disqus_thread

My FF/Hop. Would love to see you at my blog, either as a visitor, or as a new follower. : )


Sash and Em wrote: Tue Aug 09, 06:27:00 AM

Charlie and Chocolate Factory was great!

Come stop by our blog!


Post a Comment

Welcome!

I am presently on hiatus into the foreseeable future. You can find me on twitter, tumblr, or my writing website, wooordsea.com

See you there!

fellow book lovers!

grab my button!

subscribe via e-mail!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Shop Indie Bookstores