from a different perspective

For some reason I'm having an incredibly difficult time writing this one review - for a book I enjoyed quite a bit - and so I apologise for not being all caught up on them. I might have to set it aside for now and go to the next one. What do you guys do when you're stuck on a review? I reckon I write these posts.

The other day I posted about how you would feel if you could read cut scenes from a book. While watching the Dark Days of Supernatural tour another thing also came to me, also from something Veronica Roth said. (I think I would love to sit in a coffee shop and have a chat with her.) I'm not sure of the question that prompted the answer, but I believe they were asked if there was anything that they had changed about the book during editing, although it could have been about their favorite character. Either way the one big thing about Divergent is that the first 30 pages of the book were originally written from Four's perspective which made him easier to flesh out later as Veronica always knew what he was doing relative to Tris.

My favorite series that does this is the one from my last post, A Song of Ice and Fire, but you may also be familiar with it from Julie Kagawa's Iron Fey series. Although most of the series is seen from Meghan's POV, Summer's Crossing is told from Puck's perspective and The Iron Knight will be from Ash's. If you could see a book from a different character's perspective, either as a companion piece or short novella, which character would you choose? And from which book?

I'm not sure that I mentioned this here, but one of my favorite characters is Severus Snape for various reasons. Although this would probably be difficult, I would like to know Snape's take on the latter half of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. And if you haven't seen this deleted scene from the film version, if you're a Snape fan I think you'd enjoy it. It breaks my heart.

5 comments on "from a different perspective"

Jennifer A wrote: Sun Jun 12, 02:41:00 AM

I've never seen that deleted scene before. Wow, that was fantastic. I'm so glad you shared it!

Great question! I'm not sure. I'd love for Midnight sun to be finished. I love Twilight told from Edward's point of view.

Maybe Dimitri's point of view in the Vampire Academy series. I do remember thinking about that when I was reading it.


Aleeza wrote: Sun Jun 12, 04:26:00 AM

i often wonder about the same thing! once i had an incredibly hard time getting into a character's head, so i decided to write some chapters from her brother's perspective, to see what kind of person someone who's related to her would assume her to be.

it helped--LOADSSS! :D


We Heart YA wrote: Sun Jun 12, 09:43:00 AM

Like Jennifer said, we would love to see MIDNIGHT SUN finished. We enjoyed the first half! :P

Also, maybe ANNA AND THE FRENCH KISS from Etienne's POV?


Hannah Mariska wrote: Mon Jun 13, 05:51:00 PM

Hmm, very interesting about Four's perspective - would love to see that!

When I read about Snape's history and his side, I cry like a baby! Will go watch the scene now (let's hope i don't cry!)


kaye (paper reader) wrote: Thu Jun 16, 04:23:00 PM

@Jennifer: Isn't it great? I'm sort of an unabashed Snape fan so anything that there is for him is on my radar. I haven't read the VA series yet, but I have the first three. I'll have to finally put them on my TBR when I'm a bit caught up!

@Aleeza: I've never actively done that before, but I wrote it without realising it and for me it helps to shake off any writer's block I have, too. I'm glad it helped you!

@We Heart YA: I read Midnight Sun so long ago that I only really remember Edward sitting in the cafeteria. Whoops! And I guess I have to find a copy of Anna and the French Kiss because I see it popping up and it does sound like a cute read.

@Hannah: I would love to see it, too! Aside from Tris, Four is definitely the character I love most.

Oh, boy, Snape. The last film is going to make my sob all over the place. I'll have to bring tissues! :(


Post a Comment

Welcome!

I am presently on hiatus into the foreseeable future. You can find me on twitter, tumblr, or my writing website, wooordsea.com

See you there!

fellow book lovers!

grab my button!

subscribe via e-mail!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Shop Indie Bookstores