waiting on wednesday (08): the night circus

"Waiting on" Wednesday is a weekly event courtesy of Breaking the Spine that showcases much anticipated upcoming releases.

The Night Circus
Author: Erin Morgenstern
Publishing date: 09/13/2011

from goodreads:
The circus arrives without warning. No announcements precede it. It is simply there, when yesterday it was not. Within the black-and-white striped canvas tents is an utterly unique experience full of breathtaking amazements. It is called Le Cirque des Rêves, and it is only open at night.

But behind the scenes, a fierce competition is underway—a duel between two young magicians, Celia and Marco, who have been trained since childhood expressly for this purpose by their mercurial instructors. Unbeknownst to them, this is a game in which only one can be left standing, and the circus is but the stage for a remarkable battle of imagination and will. Despite themselves, however, Celia and Marco tumble headfirst into love—a deep, magical love that makes the lights flicker and the room grow warm whenever they so much as brush hands.


True love or not, the game must play out, and the fates of everyone involved, from the cast of extraordinary circus per­formers to the patrons, hang in the balance, suspended as precariously as the daring acrobats overhead.
Written in rich, seductive prose, this spell-casting novel is a feast for the senses and the heart.


I'll admit, I don't like circuses in the traditional sense, but as soon as I saw this cover and read the synopsis I was hooked. A circus that's only open at night called The Circus of Dreams - it was immediate love. I already want to know more about the colors, the cover,  the characters. And the UK version of the cover, while not quite as gorgeous is still beautiful.  The line about prose is also very intriguing for me as I love an author that can work details with words like a loom. This is a release that I am very much looking forward to.

12 comments on "waiting on wednesday (08): the night circus"

Brooke from The Bluestocking Guide wrote: Wed Jun 22, 08:55:00 AM

Ooh! This sounds excellent!!

Here is mine


Mel (He Followed Me Home) wrote: Wed Jun 22, 12:23:00 PM

I am eager for this one too! It sounds magical (and I'm not too into circuses either)


Natalie wrote: Wed Jun 22, 12:45:00 PM

This story sounds like it could be really good! Ever since I read Water for Elephants I've loved circus stories (although this one is obviously completely different). Nice WOW pick :)


Alissa wrote: Wed Jun 22, 01:28:00 PM

Sounds kind of .... creepy. Which could be really cool. I'm not a fan of traditional circuses either.


Jenny wrote: Wed Jun 22, 01:28:00 PM

Sigh! Now I'm off to Goodreads to...what? Yep, add it to my TBR list. ;)


Wendy Darling wrote: Wed Jun 22, 02:52:00 PM

Oh, I'm really intrigued by this one, too!


YA Book Queen wrote: Wed Jun 22, 03:05:00 PM

This one is a really good book! Great pick :D


Anonymous wrote: Wed Jun 22, 05:15:00 PM

I can't wait for this one either - I agree I wish we were getting the US cover of this one. Oh well!

Amy @ Turn the Page


Karis Jacobstein wrote: Wed Jun 22, 06:20:00 PM

I'm pretty excited to read this one too! Great premise.

My WoW: http://yalitwit.blogspot.com/2011/06/www-8-and-waiting-on-wednesday-june.html


Lisa (Reading to the Moon) wrote: Wed Jun 22, 08:59:00 PM

I'm adding this to my TBR list right now! It sounds so unique and interesting. This is why I love WoW
Lisa@Cold Moon Violet Books
(New Follower)


Anonymous wrote: Thu Jun 23, 09:27:00 PM

It does have a very cool cover.


Emma wrote: Fri Jun 24, 12:56:00 AM

UMMM, what the what! How have I never heard of this! I love the premise - even though I'm not a big circus fan either. And the cover is fabbity fab!


Post a Comment

Welcome!

I am presently on hiatus into the foreseeable future. You can find me on twitter, tumblr, or my writing website, wooordsea.com

See you there!

fellow book lovers!

grab my button!

subscribe via e-mail!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Shop Indie Bookstores