"Waiting on" Wednesday is a weekly event courtesy of Breaking the Spine that showcases much anticipated upcoming releases.

A Dance With Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire #5)
Author: George R.R. Martin
Publishing date: 07/12/2011

from goodreads:
In the aftermath of a colossal battle, the future of the Seven Kingdoms hangs in the balance once again--beset by newly emerging threats from every direction. In the east, Daenerys Targaryen, the last scion of House Targaryen, rules with her three dragons as queen of a city built on dust and death. But Daenerys has three times three thousand enemies, and many have set out to find her. Yet, as they gather, one young man embarks upon his own quest for the queen, with an entirely different goal in mind.

To the north lies the mammoth Wall of ice and stone--a structure only as strong as those guarding it. There, Jon Snow, 998th Lord Commander of the Night’s Watch, will face his greatest challenge yet. For he has powerful foes not only within the Watch but also beyond, in the land of the creatures of ice.

And from all corners, bitter conflicts soon reignite, intimate betrayals are perpetrated, and a grand cast of outlaws and priests, soldiers and skinchangers, nobles and slaves, will face seemingly insurmountable obstacles. Some will fail, others will grow in the strength of darkness. But in a time of rising restlessness, the tides of destiny and politics will lead inevitably to the greatest dance of all...

I don't think I can stress how excited I am for this book. Setting aside the fact that this is very much not a YA release it's the book I am most looking forward to this year. If you've heard of a little show called A Game of Thrones then you may or may not know that this is the fifth book in that series. The books are long and seem imposing but once you begin the story I assure you they will pull you in and you'll probably have a hard time pulling yourself away from the story. There are times when I feel that fantasy writers are some of the best writers out there and GRRM is no exception - the worlds he creates provide the landscape for such a broad breadth of such fully developed characters that it's all too easy to become emotionally involved with them for good or bad.

I am very much ready for more Tyrion and Jon and, well, the rest I'll have to find out. I'll stop before I can't - I just want to let you guys know that if you pre-order A Dance with Dragons via Barnes & Noble you are eligible to purchase earlier books in the series at 50% off. I warn you, though, the books are big and reading them in mass market paperback is cumbersome. It really is worth it to spend the extra few bucks to get a trade copy.

Whew. That was a lot. What are you waiting for?

12 comments on "waiting on wednesday (06): a dance with dragons"

Natalie wrote: Wed Jun 08, 09:52:00 AM

I just got sooo addicted to The Game of Thrones series on HBO! I'm sure the books are ten times more fantastic though! I think I might have to pick up a copy of the first book and get reading!


bookchewer wrote: Wed Jun 08, 11:19:00 AM

Hmmm...I need to pick this series up sometime! Btw, I became a new follower right away when I saw your motto! It makes me so sad that the art of the written word is slowly dying with nookbooks and kindles taking over over. I lvoe technology, but their is nothing better then actually feeling the pages in your hands!

can't wait to read more posts! :)

heres mine.

http://bookchewer-bookchewer.blogspot.com


Truly Bookish wrote: Wed Jun 08, 01:08:00 PM

I have been reading (and liking) a few fantasy novels lately and this sounds really good! Great pick!
NC
Truly Bookish


Jenny wrote: Wed Jun 08, 01:10:00 PM

I need to get to this series. I need a good, thick, book that's a little deeper than the YA stuff I usually read. So how many books are there going to be in this series?


Christy @ TheReaderBee wrote: Wed Jun 08, 02:41:00 PM

This is the first I've heard of the series, but I've heard a lot of talk about the show! How awesome! I will definitely have to check this series out. :) Thanks for putting it on my radar!


Kaity wrote: Wed Jun 08, 03:03:00 PM

I really need to read this series! Every time I'm on twitter everyone is gushing over both the books and the tv show. I actually own two copies of the first book but haven't read it yet because of its size. I guess I'm going to need to make time for it asap!


Jennifer A wrote: Wed Jun 08, 03:19:00 PM

Oohhhhh, so this is a game of thrones book. I keep hearing great things about it! I really need to pick it up. It sounds awesome!

Jennifer of Little Shelf


Unknown wrote: Wed Jun 08, 09:19:00 PM

This sounds amazing!!


Melissa (i swim for oceans) wrote: Wed Jun 08, 10:22:00 PM

YES. I'm so addicted to this series! Awesome pick :)


Alison Can Read wrote: Wed Jun 08, 10:56:00 PM

I just bought the first book a few weeks ago. I haven't started it yet but can't wait to do so.


Loren Chase wrote: Thu Jun 09, 11:57:00 AM

I need to start this series again! I started the first book in mass paperback and had to put the book aside. I think if I get it in trade it won't seem so imposing and I won't get sidetracked so easily by the teensy tiny font! But I'm absolutely head over heals for the show! Game of Thrones really took me by surprise and I love Tyrion in the show so I can't wait to start the books again! Great pick this week and thanks for stopping by! ;)

~Loren


kaye (paper reader) wrote: Sat Jun 11, 08:45:00 PM

@Natalie: I'm glad you're loving the series on HBO! To be honest, as someone who adores the books, the best part of it being on TV was the visual aspect of the story being played out. Reading about it is one thing, but seeing it is something else entirely. It's done so well.

@bookchewer: So perfectly said! I love books and notebooks. I've been thinking about getting an iPad for textbooks as it would probably be easier and cheaper, but, really, I love looking through a book and using post-its and writing my own notes. It just isn't the same!

@Truly Bookish: Oh, if you like fantasy then I think you will love this series. GRRM is so insanely talented that it blows my mind quite often what he's able to come up with.

@Jenny: This series is...fabulous. There's so much action and character exploration and a lot of realistic actions and choices that makes everything else pop out a lot more. There will be 7 books overall.

@Christy: I'm such a fan that I love to talk about the books whenever I can. And since this is published in a little over a month it's the perfect time! :)

@Kaity: When I first read them I found them slightly imposing, but I read it in a couple days because the story is so engrossing that it's hard to put it down. It's good that you have the first two as the first one ends in a place where you're satisfied but just have to know more still.

@Jennifer: They are amazing, full stop. Definitely check them out!

@Sonny: I feel like a broken record because I love them so much, but they are amazing!

@Melissa: ME TOO. Love that you are, too! It's hard not to be. :)

@Alison: Ahh, then I'll be looking out to see what you think!

@Loren: I actually brought the first two with me when I was on vacation a long time ago thinking I'd never finish them both but they were both so addicting that I picked up the mass market copy of the third book which was handy, but such an awful way to read it. Trade is much easier and less imposing for sure.

And hurrah for Tyrion! He's my favorite. :)


Post a Comment

Welcome!

I am presently on hiatus into the foreseeable future. You can find me on twitter, tumblr, or my writing website, wooordsea.com

See you there!

fellow book lovers!

grab my button!

subscribe via e-mail!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Shop Indie Bookstores