follow friday (18) & book blogger hop (3)

This week's question courtesy of Parajunkee's (& Alison's!) Follow Friday is:


Q: Have you ever wanted a villain to win at the end of a story? If so, which one?

All right,  I'm going to play devil's advocate and say at times that the notion of a villain is wholly subjective. While there are obviously clear-cut examples that most everyone would agree on (Voldemort) there are also ones that don't fall so easily into black and white definitions and so these are the ones that I think are allowed a little more leniency. For example, Severus Snape (one of my favorite literary characters), is considered bad and evil by a lot of people but there was never a moment in the books that I wasn't rooting for him. He was the character I cried the most over because I know there was so much about him in between the lines. Almost more than Harry winning (because that, to me, seemed inevitable) I so wanted to right about Snape. To split even more hairs, even while Dimitri (VA) was...not quite Dimitri, I wanted him not so much to win, but to win himself.

To be fair, I don't much like the characters that are annoyingly and falsely badass - those are hardly memorable - but the ones who have a journey, who are more than just a snarky mouth and a lean against the wall, and that's something we get to explore... those are the characters I love. 


Q: Many of us primarily read one genre of books, with others sprinkled in. If authors stopped writing that genre, what genre would you start reading? Or would you give up reading completely if you couldn't read that genre anymore? - Crazy For Books

The idea of me giving up reading is so completely painful and foreign that it's almost a non-concept. Purely impossible. I read a lot of different genres; I also read a lot of adult fiction and non-fiction but a lot of that I don't mention here unless I feel it can be related in some how or unless I absolutely loved it. So while you could say that dystopian fiction is my favorite genre, I think I'd be okay reading other things, too. Thankfully as the idea of dystopia is intrinsically related to the present day as new ideas are created and things happen in the world, I don't see it going away any time soon.





21 comments on "follow friday (18) & book blogger hop (3)"

Read.Breathe.Relax. wrote: Thu Sep 08, 10:45:00 PM

I definitely agree! Villans that have no depth and are just evil for evils' sake are so boring. Snape is a GREAT example!! By the end, he's everyone's hero. Heck, if Harry's going to name a kid after him, I think we can all give Snape some props. :)


TheReadingPenguin wrote: Thu Sep 08, 11:07:00 PM

New follower! Snape is a personal favorite of mine as well. He's just so interesting, I would have loved him even if he had turned out totally evil.

http://readingtopenguins.blogspot.com/2011/09/following-friday-3.html


Unknown wrote: Thu Sep 08, 11:28:00 PM

I very much agree with you about Snape. He made the books very interesting. I have to admit, I cried and cried when he passed in the book and the movie. Great answer!
Here is my FF:
http://literaryjunkie11.blogspot.com/2011/09/follow-friday-17.html
Happy Friday :D


Natalie wrote: Thu Sep 08, 11:58:00 PM

Fabulously put! Those characters that have a "journey," as you put it, are the ones that are most worth reading about! Snape is a great example.

Hope you have a great weekend. I stopped by from the Book Blogger Hop!


Tia wrote: Fri Sep 09, 12:42:00 AM

I agree I also like the characters that go through a journey!

My Follow Friday!


Obsession with Books wrote: Fri Sep 09, 03:18:00 AM

Hi and Happy Friday! A great answer..

My FF, http://obsessionwithbooks.blogspot.com/2011/09/follow-friday-9th-september.html

Have a great weekend!


Lan wrote: Fri Sep 09, 05:57:00 AM

Absolutely loving your answer to this question. And you said the magic word: Dimitri.

I'm a new follower. My FF post: The Write Obsession

While you're there don't forget to enter by Wolfborn giveaway!


_yay_ wrote: Fri Sep 09, 07:49:00 AM

Well put! My pick is an antihero. The protagonist of the book, but a freelance killer.
NEW follower!
My FF: Book that Thing!
& a giveaway is currently going on. Stop by and enter - Happy Friday!


We Heart YA wrote: Fri Sep 09, 10:16:00 AM

SOOO ditto on Severus Snape.

And your observations about false villains are dead-on. Even Voldemort is a little too *easy* to hate. The Keeper in Entwined, or Darcy in Something Borrowed, are so much more complex and thus enjoyable.

Also, we don't really read in just one genre, so that's not a concern for us either. Plus, we *like* when authors try new things, so that could be a turn-on instead of a turn-off.


Amber (Books of Amber) wrote: Fri Sep 09, 10:20:00 AM

I would never give up reading either. I don't think any of us book lovers would!

Books of Amber


Jenny wrote: Fri Sep 09, 01:01:00 PM

I'm seeing a lot of love for Snape today.


Anna @ Literary Exploration wrote: Fri Sep 09, 01:32:00 PM

I love your response! It's so well thought out. And I love Snape, he was so misunderstood. I cried the hardest when he dies in the end :(

My Follow Friday :)


Sash and Em wrote: Fri Sep 09, 02:18:00 PM

you mean you didn't like Voldey??! lol

new follower.

Here's our FF


Michelle @ Book Briefs wrote: Fri Sep 09, 03:06:00 PM

I agree about snape! Great answer! Im a new follower and I love your blog design! Do you have a way for me to subscribe via email?

My FF- Book Briefs

-Michelle


Sarah (The Book Life) wrote: Fri Sep 09, 03:11:00 PM

Snape is a great choice and you make a really good point about the characters that aren't wholly evil!

New follower :0)

My Follow Friday

Sarah @ The Book Life


Howard Sherman wrote: Fri Sep 09, 04:16:00 PM

Please don’t be shocked but this week I’ve got a straightforward, cut and dried answer to this week’s question... for a change!

Root for villains? No way, no how. Why am I being so narrow minded? Follow me back to my blog and find out why – http://www.howardsherman.net

Thank God it’s Follow Friday!

Howard A. Sherman, Implementor
Get Inside a Story
http://www.inthestory.com


pussreboots wrote: Fri Sep 09, 05:29:00 PM

I agree with you, 100% There are so many different things to read even if new books in a favorite genre stopped being published. Please come see what I would read.


Unknown wrote: Fri Sep 09, 06:36:00 PM

Hi, new follower here for the hop! I thought about Dimitri and I'm sorry to say I didn't like Snape (but trusted Dumbledore on this!)


Goldilox wrote: Fri Sep 09, 09:38:00 PM

Snape really is one of the best written characters ever. I cried like crazy for him too!

I skipped over your part about Dimitri because I haven't read Last Sacrifice yet and I've been avoiding spoilers like the plague!

Here's my FF: http://goldiloxandthethreeweres.blogspot.com

Goldilox :)


Unknown wrote: Sat Sep 10, 04:30:00 PM

I've just got up to book 3 for VA so I'm looking forward to seeing where Ms Mead takes Dimitri (now he's not Dimitri) sounds like I shouldn't be too worried from your answer.
Personally I've always wanted Wile E. Coyote to win, he tried so hard!
New follower thanks to follow friday:
http://booksforone.blogspot.com/


~~Angela wrote: Mon Sep 12, 10:49:00 AM

New Follower here, visiting from Crazy for Books... My preferred genre is YA and if they stopped publishing it i probably wouldn't stop reading, but i would read a lot less and write a lot more, even if it was just for myself. I'm admin over at peaceloveyalit.blogspot.com. I'd love for you to come visit when you get a chance!

Happy reviewing!


Post a Comment

Welcome!

I am presently on hiatus into the foreseeable future. You can find me on twitter, tumblr, or my writing website, wooordsea.com

See you there!

fellow book lovers!

grab my button!

subscribe via e-mail!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Shop Indie Bookstores