waiting on wednesday (07): variant

"Waiting on" Wednesday is a weekly event courtesy of Breaking the Spine that showcases much anticipated upcoming releases.

Variant
Author: Robison Wells
Publishing date: 10/01/2011

from goodreads:
Benson Fisher thought a scholarship to Maxfield Academy would be the ticket out of his dead-end life.

He was wrong.

Now he’s trapped in a school that’s surrounded by a razor-wire fence. A school where video cameras monitor his every move. Where there are no adults. Where the kids have split into groups in order to survive.

Where breaking the rules equals death.

But when Benson stumbles upon the school’s real secret, he realizes that playing by the rules could spell a fate worse than death, and that escape—his only real hope for survival—may be impossible.

If you haven't already noticed, dystopian is my favorite genre not just for books but for films and, well, anything. And although the synopsis is brief I'm curious as to why there are cameras, what happened to leave the kids like this and what they'll have to do to survive. If anyone's seen Doctor Who, it sort of reminds me of the series one episode "Bad Wolf" although the catchphrase is very X-Files. I love the simple cover with muted blue overtones and the way her red sweater stands out against everything else.

What are you guys waiting on?

12 comments on "waiting on wednesday (07): variant"

Amy wrote: Wed Jun 15, 11:33:00 AM

This sounds really good. Also liking the cover. Trust no one is always a good tag line. Nice pick.

Here's my WoW

Amy@adumbrations (new follower)


Lisa wrote: Wed Jun 15, 12:15:00 PM

I haven't heard of this book yet but is sounds really interesting. I love the angle of the boarding school being dangerous.

To answer the question you asked on my blog about reading the True Blood series or watching it first I suggest reading the whole series before starting to watch the shows. They give away many of the later mysteries early in the show's series. Plus the books are so good you don't want to spoil anything or get other images in your head. The first book was a little harder to get into, but if you stick with it I think you'll really enjoy them. They are kind of like mind candy.


Jenny wrote: Wed Jun 15, 01:02:00 PM

I keep seeing this one pop up. Now I'm going to have to add it to my list.


Emily wrote: Wed Jun 15, 01:15:00 PM

I have an ARC of this book from TLA, can't wait to read it!
My WOW


kathy wrote: Wed Jun 15, 05:12:00 PM

I've had my eye on this book, too. I love the cover. I hope it's as creepy good as it sounds. :)


Natalie wrote: Wed Jun 15, 06:51:00 PM

Ya the synopsis of this one is very brief...but the briefness makes me all the more curious about it! Especially the subtitle on the cover that says "Trust No One!" Nice WOW pick :)


Marla wrote: Wed Jun 15, 09:36:00 PM

Hi, Kaye. Thanks for stopping by my WoW post. I have seen this one several times today. It sounds like a good read and I would like to get my hands on it, as well.


We Heart YA wrote: Thu Jun 16, 08:19:00 AM

At least two of us are waiting for IMAGINARY GIRLS by Nova Ren Suma. Kirkus star, lots of good peer reviews...magical realism! Very excited.
VARIANT sounds really intriguing as well. So many good ones coming out this year. Sarah xx


Truly Bookish wrote: Thu Jun 16, 09:06:00 AM

This looks really good, I have this on my TBR list as well! Great pick!
NC
Truly Bookish


Loren Chase wrote: Thu Jun 16, 11:22:00 AM

Definitely can't wait to get my hands on this book. It sounds like it's going to be fantastic and that cover looks so mysterious. I thought of exactly the same questions you did after reading the synopsis, it's brief but it makes it that much more intriguing. And I love a good dystopian as well. They're addictive! I don't think I'll ever get sick of them. Thanks for stopping by ;)

~Loren


Christy @ TheReaderBee wrote: Thu Jun 16, 10:24:00 PM

Ohhh, great pick! I really want to read this one as well. It sounds really aweeeeesome!


Wendy Darling wrote: Fri Jun 17, 06:53:00 PM

Oh, this sounds great! Adding to my pile. :)


Post a Comment

Welcome!

I am presently on hiatus into the foreseeable future. You can find me on twitter, tumblr, or my writing website, wooordsea.com

See you there!

fellow book lovers!

grab my button!

subscribe via e-mail!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Shop Indie Bookstores