waiting on wednesday (09): darker still

"Waiting on" Wednesday is a weekly event courtesy of Breaking the Spine that showcases much anticipated upcoming releases.

from goodreads:
The Picture of Dorian Gray meets Pride and Prejudice, with a dash of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.

New York City, 1882. Seventeen-year-old Natalie Stewart's latest obsession is a painting of the handsome British Lord Denbury. Something in his striking blue eyes calls to her. As his incredibly life-like gaze seems to follow her, Natalie gets the uneasy feeling that details of the painting keep changing...

Jonathan Denbury's soul is trapped in the gilded painting by dark magic while his possessed body commits unspeakable crimes in the city slums. He must lure Natalie into the painting, for only together can they reverse the curse and free his damaged soul.

Although there's not a lot of synopsis here, anything Oscar Wilde and anything vaguely relating to Pride and Prejudice has me on alert. I know they're big comparisons, but I'm curious to see how this one turns out. And I love the color play on the cover with her dress alternating between gold and purple, meshing with the wallpaper and frame. And set in here in New York? Okay, I want to know about these characters already.




8 comments on "waiting on wednesday (09): darker still"

Brooke from The Bluestocking Guide wrote: Wed Jun 29, 10:22:00 PM

I just added this one to my wishlist!!!

Here is my Wishful Wednesday post


Christina Reads YA wrote: Thu Jun 30, 02:22:00 AM

This one has been on my wishlist for a while and yes, they're very big comparisons, but Darker Still caught my eye because of that :). Like you, I loved the Pride & Prejudice reference, but Dr. Jekyll & Hyde attracted me more than Oscar Wilde's work. I have yet to read anything of his :( though my friend is such a big advocate. And I too like the idea of NYC. Makes it seem more real :).


Wendy Darling wrote: Thu Jun 30, 03:03:00 AM

Oh, this one sounds cool! Adding it to my list. :)


Natalie wrote: Thu Jun 30, 10:11:00 AM

This book has been on my reading list for a while now! I'm interested to see how the Oscar Wilde and P&P comparisons come into play. I'll probably pick it up when its published!


Lauren wrote: Thu Jun 30, 11:18:00 AM

"The Picture of Dorian Gray meets Pride and Prejudice, with a dash of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde."

I'm sold already. Yes please.


Jenny wrote: Thu Jun 30, 01:48:00 PM

Hmmm, sounds interesting. I'm such a sucker for comparisons. ;)


Kellie wrote: Thu Jun 30, 09:39:00 PM

Just stopping by but HUGE congrats on 100 followers!


Anonymous wrote: Thu Jun 30, 09:46:00 PM

Your description sounds very interesting.


Post a Comment

Welcome!

I am presently on hiatus into the foreseeable future. You can find me on twitter, tumblr, or my writing website, wooordsea.com

See you there!

fellow book lovers!

grab my button!

subscribe via e-mail!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Shop Indie Bookstores