fill in the blank (02)



Having started writing my story in earnest via NaNoWriMo, I thought that it would be appropriate for another edition of fill in the blank! This is a hard one, I know. Perhaps it varies by book type (standalone, series, YA, non-YA) or genre (paranormal, contemporary, dystopian). Feel free to discuss examples. :)

I want a book to do ______ for me. Meaning, when I read a book I want to get _____ out of it.

For example, when I read a book I want to fall into it completely. I want to forget that I am reading and completely fall into the MC's head. For that the characters have to be believable, the prose fluid enough to tell the story so that I am experiencing the events along with everyone inside the book. Thus even if there's a story idea that might not have worked for me - zombie werewolves striking a peace treaty with neighboring vegetarian vampires - if the words, the bones are there then I can get behind it completely. What about you?

2 comments on "fill in the blank (02)"

We Heart YA wrote: Sat Nov 05, 03:44:00 PM

Ooo, good one. Hmm...

Generally speaking, we want a book to provoke us. Meaning, when we read a book we want to get insight, entertainment, and/or emotion out of it. Better if it can do all 3 (like Hunger Games, for example).

A tall order, for sure, but that's our ideal!


Kelly wrote: Sun Nov 06, 12:19:00 AM

Hmmmm. There are a lot of things I want books to do for me, and it definitely depends on what I'm reading, but I think at the end of the day, I have to say that I want to completely blow me away emotionally and intellectually. It can just be that I get amazing characters and a lot of laughter from a book, like I get from Anna and the French Kiss. It can be that I get an incredible story that gives me a new perspective on things, like Willow by Julia Hoban did. What it comes down to is, I want reading to be a deeply personal experience, with books that make me think in some way, no matter what that way is, and books that change me, even in the most subtle ways.


Post a Comment

Welcome!

I am presently on hiatus into the foreseeable future. You can find me on twitter, tumblr, or my writing website, wooordsea.com

See you there!

fellow book lovers!

grab my button!

subscribe via e-mail!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Shop Indie Bookstores