waiting on wednesday (04): the pledge

"Waiting on" Wednesday is a weekly event courtesy of Breaking the Spine that showcases much anticipated upcoming releases.

The Pledge
Author: Kimberly Derting
Publishing date: 11/15/2011

from goodreads:
In the violent country of Ludania, the classes are strictly divided by the language they speak. The smallest transgression, like looking a member of a higher class in the eye while they are speaking their native tongue, results in immediate execution. Seventeen-year-old Charlaina has always been able to understand the languages of all classes, and she’s spent her life trying to hide her secret. The only place she can really be free is the drug-fueled underground clubs where people go to shake off the oppressive rules of the world they live in. It's there that she meets a beautiful and mysterious boy named Max who speaks a language she's never heard before . . . and her secret is almost exposed.

Charlie is intensely attracted to Max, even though she can’t be sure where his real loyalties lie. As the emergency drills give way to real crisis and the violence escalates, it becomes clear that Charlie is the key to something much bigger: her country’s only chance for freedom from the terrible power of a deadly regime.

I'm a language nut so this book had me at first sentence. Also, it reminds me a bit of Jasper Fforde's Shades of Grey although the sorting here is by language not the chromatic spectrum. This is a book I am definitely looking forward to! Besides, the cover is gorgeous aaaaand I've always loved Charlie as a girl's nickname.

4 comments on "waiting on wednesday (04): the pledge"

Vanessa Valiente wrote: Wed May 18, 11:13:00 PM

I can't wait for this book either!!!


Christy @ TheReaderBee wrote: Thu May 19, 08:10:00 AM

I am SOOO excited to read this book! I can't wait! I hope it's awesome. :) Great pick!


Christina Reads YA wrote: Thu May 19, 04:31:00 PM

I've only recently started reading The Body Finder by Derting, and even though that's what established her career, I think this premise sounds much more interesting. Plus, I can actually see something like this happening. Well, minus the fact that Charlie's the only one who can understand all the languages but still :). Definitely looking forward to this book!


kaye (paper reader) wrote: Thu May 19, 07:21:00 PM

I'm excited for it, too. This really is a great year for new releases!

@Christina: If I like THE PLEDGE then I'll have to try her first book! The language bit is a nice take on dystopia and hopefully there's tons of great dialogue to highlight what she can understand. :)


Post a Comment

Welcome!

I am presently on hiatus into the foreseeable future. You can find me on twitter, tumblr, or my writing website, wooordsea.com

See you there!

fellow book lovers!

grab my button!

subscribe via e-mail!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

blog archive

Shop Indie Bookstores