follow friday (17)

This week's question courtesy of Parajunkee's Follow Friday is:

Q: If you could change the ending of any book (or series), which book would would you choose? Why and to what?

My brain is slightly mushy from studying, but I'm just going to randomly name a few things in list form. I love lists. And beware of spoilers, please, as we are discussing book endings.


- I would add about 20 pages onto Mockingjay and flesh the ending out more; the ending, not the epilogue. While I'm one of a handful that enjoyed the third book, it just needed something more to wrap up the series as I would have ideally liked. I might have also made Gale less flaky in the end, which came - for me - entirely out of left field. 
- The ending of Outside In was so completely bizarre and random that I would probably rewrite the entire 1/3 of that book to erase any mention of crazy aliens and have a less fanciful way of tying ends up, such as maybe something with more with Trella and her mom, and maybe more information about the scrubs and how they planned on keeping their little internal society running without too much conflict.
- For Across the Universe I would definitely not have had Amy and Elder make up at the end. For me it was a bit of a cop-out in some respects because if I were unplugged with no way of interacting with my parents again it would take a lot more than an "I'm sorry" to smooth things over; at least quite a bit more time would be necessary. As much as I liked that book, that bit just bugs me every time.


I'm sure there are more, but I'm at a loss and my brain is sleepy. I really like this question, and I'll try and catch up with your answers tomorrow night!

12 comments on "follow friday (17)"

Ninja Girl wrote: Fri Sep 02, 12:05:00 AM

Oh, I loved Mockingjay! Actually loved all three books, but yeah. Anyway, I'm a real dork b/c I just totally read the spoiler for Across the Universe, which I plan to read very soon :/ But since I don't know the characters or story yet I guess that's okay, right?
Have a great weekend,
NInja Girl


Alison Can Read wrote: Fri Sep 02, 12:09:00 AM

Hopping through. I agree that Gale had a major character change. It irritated me.
My Hop


Tia wrote: Fri Sep 02, 12:25:00 AM

I would make changes to Mockingjay too!

My Follow Friday


Annie @ TheBookHour wrote: Fri Sep 02, 09:41:00 AM

Nice thoughts. I'm a new follower. :)

Are you going to read the follow up books to Across the Universe?


Unknown wrote: Fri Sep 02, 09:52:00 AM

Mockingjay seems to be a popular one for readers wanting to change the ending to. It's making me happy that I haven't read it.

I'm an old follower.

Carmel @ Rabid Reads


We Heart YA wrote: Fri Sep 02, 09:56:00 AM

Good ideas! Hm, we're not sure exactly how we would change Mockingjay... Maybe we need to reread it.

In terms of changing a series, Sarah wants to eliminate Breaking Dawn altogther. :P


Christy @ TheReaderBee wrote: Fri Sep 02, 10:47:00 AM

I would definitely have liked to see a more in depth ending for Mockingjay. It kind of left me unsatisfied, unfortunately. I haven't read the other two books yet, but I'll keep the ending in mind when I do! :)


Emma Michaels wrote: Fri Sep 02, 01:36:00 PM

I am an old follower!
Hope you will stop by and check out my new multi-author blog 'The Writers Voice' with myself, Kristie Cook, Jamie Magee, Kim Richardson, Keary Taylor, Victoria Simcox, Jessica Sorensen, Brenda Pandos, Samantha Young, Jayde Scott, Megg Jensen, Danyelle Leafty and guest authors!

The Writers Voice
"Where you get to know the people behind the pages."


If you suggest your favorite author in the comments we will see if we can contact them for an interview, guest post or other exclusive content!

Sincerely,
Emma Michaels
http://ourbooksourvoice.blogspot.com/
http://EmmaMichaels.Blogspot.com


None wrote: Fri Sep 02, 02:54:00 PM

Totally agree with your Mockingjay comment! I read the book just 2 weeks ago and the ending was a bit missing. I felt terrible afterwards.

Happy Friday! Old follower visiting
My FF post


Rabbit wrote: Fri Sep 02, 03:13:00 PM

The only book you mentioned here that I have read was Mockingjay, and although I did enjoy it, I have to agree with you in some points. I didn't like how Gale just disappeared, I didn't really think that fit with how a good friend would behave, and I would have loved to see a longer ending too. Feel free to check out my FF here. Returning follower!

Rumana @ Relook the Book


KIKA wrote: Fri Sep 02, 08:47:00 PM

OH my goodness I have been meaning to start White Cat. How are you liking it? Happy Friday! am now a follower:)

The Book Bluff


Bex wrote: Fri Sep 02, 10:14:00 PM

I haven't read either of those, so I didn't dare reading the comments why! But I'm very curious about them both. Hope I won't feel the same when I get to them.

I'm a new follower! :D Happy weekend! My FF can be found here!


Post a Comment

Welcome!

I am presently on hiatus into the foreseeable future. You can find me on twitter, tumblr, or my writing website, wooordsea.com

See you there!

fellow book lovers!

grab my button!

subscribe via e-mail!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Shop Indie Bookstores