Since school started at the end of August I've been struggling to find time to properly catch up with my writing of reviews as on an average day I have to read anywhere from 20-80 pages a day, sometimes per class. I've toyed with the idea of writing shorter reviews for some (non-review) books but am slightly hesitant as I'm afraid that I'll be tinkering with the quality of the review.

When I'm not blowing through highlighters on the train with last-minute studying, I'm always reading, and so my reading to writing ratio is nowhere near even. However, there have been some books that I've read lately (Anna Dressed in Blood, A Need So Beautiful, Shade, and White Cat for starters) and have had some thoughts that I'd like to muse about.

I'm not sure how to insert a poll, and am not quite sure that'd be entirely accurate regardless. Feel free to leave a comment and share your thoughts. It'd be most appreciated. Thanks again, everyone!

6 comments on "to mini-review or not to mini-review, that is the question"

Tina wrote: Tue Sep 20, 11:07:00 PM

What a coincidence! I was just thinking about this question too - and I think it's a really good one. Here's my point of view.

ADVANTAGES of mini-reviews:
- They're short and easy to read - perfect for readers and reviewers pressed for time.'
- They're generally non-spoilery, whereas there isn't much you can talk about in a full review without spoiling some parts of the book.

DISADVANTAGES of mini-reviews:
- They lack in detail and depth that a full review provides.
- Kind of seems unfair to give a review copy a mini-review.
- ...I can't think of any other ones, but I'm eager to see what other people think. :)

Thanks for the post! Btw, I love your blog design, it's adorable!
Tina @ Book Couture


Jenny wrote: Wed Sep 21, 12:30:00 AM

I think mini reviews are fine. If you're busy don't stress yourself out even more....except White Cat; I want to hear all the details of what you thought. ;)


kaye (paper reader) wrote: Wed Sep 21, 08:51:00 AM

I'll have to try some this weekend then, if I can get caught up enough! I'm such a blogger delinquent lately. We'll see how it goes - it'll be only for books that are not sent for review.

But I'll make sure to give White Cat the proper treatment. :)


We Heart YA wrote: Wed Sep 21, 11:04:00 AM

We think mini-reviews are fine. You can learn to say a lot in a little! And yeah, no point stressing yourself out. That defeats the whole purpose of a blog.


kara-karina@Nocturnal Book Reviews wrote: Wed Sep 21, 11:05:00 AM

I love mini-reviews, do go for them! They catch my eye, and then I might look for more reviews to decide to read or not to read.


Raimy from Readaraptor Hatchling wrote: Fri Sep 23, 08:26:00 AM

Do some mini-reviews! Id still read them and I think sometimes they are more use than full blown in depth reviews! :D


Post a Comment

Welcome!

I am presently on hiatus into the foreseeable future. You can find me on twitter, tumblr, or my writing website, wooordsea.com

See you there!

fellow book lovers!

grab my button!

subscribe via e-mail!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Shop Indie Bookstores