Author: Cristina García
Publication Date: 07/12/2011
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Pages: 256
Source: e-ARC

Brought together each summer at a boarding school in Switzerland, three girls learn a lot more than just French and European culture. Shirin, an Iranian princess; Ingrid, a German-Canadian eccentric; and Vivien, a Cuban-Jewish New Yorker culinary phenom, are thrown into each other's lives when they become roommates. 

This is a story of 3 paths slowly beginning to cross and merge as they spend the year apart, but the summers together. Through navigating the social-cultural shoals of the school, developing their adolescence, and learning the confusing and conflicting legacies of their families' past, Shirin, Ingrid, and Vivien form an unbreakable bond. 

This was less like a book and more of a glimpse into a looking glass showing us a reflection of the story of three completely different girls. Through varying situations in their lives they ended up at a posh Swiss boarding school, each wondering just what they could possibly get out of the situation. But more than getting something out of it, their experience changes their worldview and themselves.

To be honest, I finished this book about a month ago and have been struggling with the review ever since. Not because I didn't like it, because I loved it, but more so because this is really something has to be experienced along with the rest of the girls. Frankly, I don't think this is a book that everyone will be able to worm their way into, but if you do, you will love it. It's real and unapologetic and left me curious - I wanted to know even more about the girls and read more of their correspondence. I wanted to cook with Viven, chat with Shirin, and attend a show with Ingrid.

If anyone has any questions about Dreams of Significant Girls I'll do my best to answer them. I apologise for the review that's not quite a review, but, I do urge you to read it if you're a fan of realistic contemporary YA.

6 comments on "review: dreams of significant girls by cristina garcía"

Alissa wrote: Mon Jul 04, 04:34:00 PM

I've been waiting to read this one! So glad to hear that you loved it. I'm really hoping I can get into it because it sounds right up my alley.

Now I just need to wait for its release.

Thanks for the review, Kaye!


Leanna Elle wrote: Mon Jul 04, 06:19:00 PM

I really liked the sound of this one when I saw it on Galley Grab. Doesn't look like I'm going to get to it before it expires, though. :(


Jenny wrote: Mon Jul 04, 06:41:00 PM

Akright, I'll take your word for it. When it's so good you can't even explain it it must me good.


Christy @ TheReaderBee wrote: Mon Jul 04, 08:44:00 PM

I've not heard of this one before, but it sounds really interesting! Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the book!


We Heart YA wrote: Mon Jul 04, 08:55:00 PM

Ooo, you know, that's a pretty enticing review, even if it's not a very specific one.


Kelly wrote: Tue Jul 05, 11:03:00 PM

Thanks for the review. I've had this one on my TBR list for a while, and now I'm really looking forward to reading it. I agree with We Heart YA. Your review was definitely enticing. I also agree with Jenny, that if a book is so good you can't explain it, it much be good, and in my opinion, definitely worth checking out.


Post a Comment

Welcome!

I am presently on hiatus into the foreseeable future. You can find me on twitter, tumblr, or my writing website, wooordsea.com

See you there!

fellow book lovers!

grab my button!

subscribe via e-mail!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Shop Indie Bookstores