top ten tuesdays! (01)

The Broke & The Bookish loves lists - so do I! 


This is my very first Top Ten Tuesday - I've seen others participate and the questions are always so fun and the answers even more surprising that I toss in my hat and am jumping in along with you all! 

Top Ten Rebels In Literature (characters or authors) – Those people who stood up for what they believed in despite the cost of doing so.
  1. Severus Snape (Harry Potter): My ultimate moment with Snape was during the epilogue of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - that's when I really lost it and started crying. "Albus Severus, you were named for two headmasters of Hogwarts. One of them was a Slytherin and he was probably the bravest man I ever knew."
  2. Ned Stark (A Song of Ice and Fire): A lot of people have an issue with Ned, saying that he was too stubborn and that it killed him in the end. It takes a lot of strength to never give up what you believe in, and for that I love Ned.
  3. Cinna (The Hunger Games): Katniss is a badass, but Cinna is such a quiet backbone of this story that I have to speak up for him. I love his character heaps.
  4. Rose Hathaway (Vampire Academy): Oh, Rose. The girl has snark down as an art and went through so much crap but never gave up.
  5. Lisbeth Salander (Millenium Series): Lisbeth is superb. We need more Lisbeths in literature 
  6. Tris (Divergent): Choosing to leave your family and having to literally fight to live? You go, Tris.
  7. Tyrion Lannister (A Song of Ice and Fire): I have a very short list of characters that I'll list as my favorites - Tyrion is very deservedly on that list. He is intelligent (loves to read) and wields sarcasm and wit as his brother does a sword.He's born of an incredibly wealthy and influential family that wants nothing to do with him and for that reason he becomes incredibly self-sufficient. I find myself continually impressed by Tyrion.
  8. The Lorax/Dr. Seuss (The Lorax): Dr. Seuss is a brilliant, brilliant author and this book/character was no exception. This line alone speaks volumes to the ideas that he was able to so beautifully capture in this books, "I am the Lorax, I speak for the trees.
    I speak for the trees, for the trees have no tongues..."
  9. Alan Moore (Watchmen, V for Vendetta): Well, crap. How do you even begin to speak on Moore and his writing? Rorschach? Even if you don't normally read graphic novels, you should try these. Really.
  10. Elphaba (Wicked): This book + this song (why hello Idina Menzel) is perfection. In all of her good moments, her bad moments - everything. 
I have to give up on this post now because I'm singing my heart out along with the Wicked soundtrack. :) (I might have to see it this weekend. Happy birthday to me!)

9 comments on "top ten tuesdays! (01)"

Lark Andrea wrote: Tue Jul 05, 11:16:00 PM

Great list. Cinna rocks!

Reading Lark's Top 10


LBC wrote: Wed Jul 06, 01:17:00 AM

I haven't read Wicked, but I've seen the play and Elphaba is a great answer. I also really like your header.

Check out my list at The Scarlet Letter .


Tee wrote: Wed Jul 06, 10:27:00 AM

Oh Cinna and Tris..in total agreement with this..I should participate in this..maybe I will LOL!!!


Natalie wrote: Wed Jul 06, 01:45:00 PM

Such a great list!! Totally agree with every single character on it!! Severus, Ned Stark, Tyrion Lannister, and Cinna would be on the top of my own list as well! Love that you chose the Lorax! That was pretty original! Rorschach is my hero. Pretty much this post kicked ass and made me way too excited haha!


We Heart YA wrote: Wed Jul 06, 01:53:00 PM

Ooo, we haven't seen Snape on this list yet, but we love that pick. Cinna's a great one too (one of our fave characters).


Jenny wrote: Wed Jul 06, 05:25:00 PM

I'm glad you joined this week. Thanks for the Harry Potter refresher. I loved that moment too. I cried like an idiot!


kaye (paper reader) wrote: Wed Jul 06, 08:39:00 PM

@Andrea Thanks! Cinna is so understated. And I kept on looking for him in Mockingjay.

@LBC: Wicked is really a fun read. I haven't read the sequel, but I'm okay with that. And thank you about the header. :)

@Tee: This is such a fun meme, I'd recommend it! The questions are always challenging.

@Natalie: I sat writing this for about an hour and a half on and off last night because I was trying to not forget anyone but that made me forget everyone and so this was the product of my brain trying to work. I think I need to reread Watchmen. :)

@We Heart YA: Snape is always near the top of my lists, it seems! I love him to bits.

@Jenny: It's so much fun! Every time I saw you filling it out I wanted to do it too, but it was always so late in the day that I never got around to it. And I'm going to cry so much next week...I'd better bring a box of tissues.


Alison Can Read wrote: Wed Jul 06, 10:23:00 PM

Totally with you on Snape and Elphie. I loved the book Wicked. Snape has my eternal respect - even if he was still a jerk.


Kellie wrote: Thu Jul 07, 07:48:00 PM

Great list! And happy, happy birthday (now belated I guess)! I love that you included Dr Seuss, all grown up and I'm still a huge fan.


Post a Comment

Welcome!

I am presently on hiatus into the foreseeable future. You can find me on twitter, tumblr, or my writing website, wooordsea.com

See you there!

fellow book lovers!

grab my button!

subscribe via e-mail!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Shop Indie Bookstores