waiting on wednesday (12): shatter me

from goodreads: 11/15/2011

Juliette hasn't touched anyone in exactly 264 days. The last time she did, it was an accident, but The Reestablishment locked her up for murder. No one knows why Juliette's touch is fatal. As long as she doesn't hurt anyone else, no one really cares. The world is too busy crumbling to pieces to pay attention to a 17-year-old-girl. Diseases are destroying the population, food is hard to find, birds don't fly anymore, and the clouds are the wrong color.

The Reestablishment said their way was the only way to fix things, so they threw Juliette in a cell. Now so many people are dead that the survivors are whispering war- and The Reestablishment has changed its mind. Maybe Juliette is more than a tortured soul stuffed into a poisonous body. Maybe she's exactly what they need right now.

Juliette has to make a choice: Be a weapon. Or be a warrior.

In this electrifying debut, Tahereh Mafi presents a world as riveting as The Hunger Games and a superhero story as thrilling as The X-Men. Full of pulse-pounding romance, intoxicating villainy, and high-stakes choices, Shatter Me is a fresh and original dystopian novel—with a paranormal twist—that will leave readers anxiously awaiting its sequel


It really goes without saying how absurdly excited I am for this book. It hits all of my interests: Dystopian? Check. Mystery? Check. Thriller? Check. Kickass female protagonist? Seemingly check. More than that, though, even from the description alone I can already picture things about the story - red, wispy clouds against a slightly paler sky and birds with perhaps too large wings wobbling awkwardly along the ground trying to remember what they were for. This is a world I want to read about as of yesterday and just seems beyond amazing. To be fair, I'm not too fond of the bottom where the blurb compares itself to THG or the X-Men, mainly because I don't think a book needs a comparison to be strong by itself. Sadly I haven't read this one yet, but I have a strong feeling this is one story that won't need others to do well.

Is it November yet?

20 comments on "waiting on wednesday (12): shatter me"

Lisa (Lisa's World of Books) wrote: Wed Jul 27, 09:20:00 AM

I love the combination genres in this one. Thanks for sharing.

My WoW pick for this week.


Jules wrote: Wed Jul 27, 09:22:00 AM

Great choice :)

I've seen this one on a few blogs today

http://thegreatthegoodandthebad.blogspot.com/


Natalie wrote: Wed Jul 27, 09:24:00 AM

I am looking forward to this book as well! Although when I read the synopsis I immediatly thought of Xmen before I even got to the end where they mentioned it....but I agree that I wish books wouldn't compare themselves to something else! Anyways great WOW pick this week :)


tweezle wrote: Wed Jul 27, 09:27:00 AM

The Hunger Games and X-Men? Wow - this sounds like an interesting read!

Come on over and see my WOW for this week.


Harpreet Singh wrote: Wed Jul 27, 10:18:00 AM
This comment has been removed by the author.

Harpreet Singh wrote: Wed Jul 27, 10:18:00 AM

I can't wait for Shatter Me either! It sounds sooo good, and I just can not wait until I get my hands on a copy!! (:

Here's what I'm waiting on this week:

http://booksforteens6212.blogspot.com/2011/07/waiting-on-wednesday-1.html


Marla wrote: Wed Jul 27, 12:16:00 PM

Heck yeah! This one has had my attention for weeks, now, and I can not wait to read it. Excellent pick!

My WoW pick


Jenny wrote: Wed Jul 27, 12:24:00 PM

I'm excited for this one too. I love how you didn't mark the kickass protagonist as a for-sure check yet. ;)


Rabbit wrote: Wed Jul 27, 12:44:00 PM

I am pretty excited for this book! A lot of people are waiting on this one I am sure! Feel free to check out my WoW here.

Rumana @ Relook the Book


We Heart YA wrote: Wed Jul 27, 02:23:00 PM

Oh we've been wondering what this one was about. Thanks for introducing us to it! It DOES sound pretty good.


melannie (: wrote: Wed Jul 27, 05:38:00 PM

Ufff! shatter me! that's some serious CAN'T WAIT material!

My WoW post this week


Peggy Eddleman wrote: Wed Jul 27, 09:24:00 PM

I am so excited for this book too! Even if I didn't know a thing about the book, the cover would still completely sell me.


Karen L. wrote: Wed Jul 27, 11:39:00 PM

I am ridiculously in love with the dress on the cover and will probably read the book based solely on that :) New follower! Here's my WoW, if you want to check it out: http://booklightgraveyard.blogspot.com/2011/07/waiting-on-wednesday-statistical_27.html


Unknown wrote: Thu Jul 28, 12:05:00 AM

Ahaha, you should see my WOW. It might interest you. ;)
http://literaryjunkie11.blogspot.com/2011/07/waiting-on-wednesday-16.html
Happy Reading :}


Hannah Mariska wrote: Thu Jul 28, 04:58:00 PM

Ooh interesting. Definitely thinking x-men with a dystopian feel. stunning cover too :)


Donna K. Weaver wrote: Thu Jul 28, 09:32:00 PM

Love the premise!


Alyssa Nelson wrote: Thu Jul 28, 09:34:00 PM

I'm excited for this one too. I agree with you on the comparison, though. Makes it feel like it's going to be second-rate.


Melissa (i swim for oceans) wrote: Thu Jul 28, 11:26:00 PM

I have an ARC of this, and I'm dying to start it! I don't love the model on the cover, but as a whole, the cover is stunning :)


Anonymous wrote: Fri Jul 29, 01:08:00 AM

I have this on pre-order. It feels like a long wait to get it.


Read.Breathe.Relax. wrote: Sat Jul 30, 04:24:00 PM

YES!! Shatter Me is at the top of my "waiting on" list! This looks totally fabulous! Great choice. :)


Post a Comment

Welcome!

I am presently on hiatus into the foreseeable future. You can find me on twitter, tumblr, or my writing website, wooordsea.com

See you there!

fellow book lovers!

grab my button!

subscribe via e-mail!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Shop Indie Bookstores