waiting on wednesday (11): when she woke

"Waiting on" Wednesday is a weekly event courtesy of Breaking the Spine that showcases much anticipated upcoming releases.

from goodreads: 10/04/2011
Faith, love and sexuality have fallen prey to politics in this stunning creation of America in the near future, from the author whose international bestseller, Mudbound, so hauntingly recreated America’s past. Hannah Payne’s life has been devoted to church and family, but after her arrest, she awakens to a nightmare: she lies on a table in a mirrored room, covered only by a paper gown, with cameras broadcasting her every move to millions at home, for whom observing new “chromes”—criminals whose skin color has been genetically altered to match the class of their crime— is a new and sinister form of reality TV. Hannah is a Red; her crime is murder. The victim, says the state of Texas, was her unborn child, and Hannah is determined to protect the identity of the father, a public figure with whom she shared a fierce and forbidden love. Inspired by The Scarlet Letter, When She Woke is a dark fable about a stigmatized woman struggling to navigate a dystopian, theocratic America of the not-too-distant future, where convicted felons are no longer imprisoned and rehabilitated, but “chromed” and released back into the population to survive as best they can. In seeking a path to safety in an alien and hostile world, Hannah unknowingly embarks on a journey of self-discovery that forces her to question the values she once held true and the moral authority of a country that politicizes the personal.

While this book may not be a cut and dry YA release, I think it would be something that could end up on a list like yesterday's of books that teens should read. When I first heard of it (and I've only seen it mentioned on one blog - so thank you!) it was an immediate add to my TBR. It seems like this book is going to deal with so many ideas on different levels that it's something I really am looking forward to getting my hands on. It may not be a book for everyone, but it's definitely one that if I get I'll be reviewing!

9 comments on "waiting on wednesday (11): when she woke"

We Heart YA wrote: Wed Jul 20, 08:47:00 AM

Ooo, sounds a bit like Handmaid's Tale, which we LOVE.


JessiM wrote: Wed Jul 20, 10:03:00 AM

WOW. That sounds really interesting! I may have to check it out. Thanks for sharing.


Jenny wrote: Wed Jul 20, 02:06:00 PM

I'll add this one to my TBR pile but whether I read it or nor will be based on my opinion of The Scarlet Letter. Yeah, I know, shame on me for not having read it yet.


Anonymous wrote: Wed Jul 20, 04:52:00 PM

This sounds very different and unique! Thanks for posting about it - I'm going to keep an eye out for yours and other reviews!

Amy @ Turn the Page


Melissa (i swim for oceans) wrote: Wed Jul 20, 10:52:00 PM

I like the sound of this, though it sounds deeper than much of what I read today. Fab choice! :)


Sonia wrote: Wed Jul 20, 11:20:00 PM

Inspired by The Scarlet Letter? Well that definitely sounds interesting. This book seems completely unique from any other YA I've read - great choice! I hope it turns out well :)


Carolina M. Valdez Schneider wrote: Thu Jul 21, 07:29:00 PM

Wow, oh my gosh, this sounds eerie and fantastic!


Christy @ TheReaderBee wrote: Thu Jul 21, 08:51:00 PM

This really does sound like and interesting read! I will definitely have to add it to my list!


Unknown wrote: Thu Jul 21, 11:09:00 PM

I like the idea of a retelling of the Sacrlet Letter--though this book sounds like it'd make me sad. :-)


Post a Comment

Welcome!

I am presently on hiatus into the foreseeable future. You can find me on twitter, tumblr, or my writing website, wooordsea.com

See you there!

fellow book lovers!

grab my button!

subscribe via e-mail!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Shop Indie Bookstores